After hiking for 5 hours up hill with 40lbs of equipment, we arrive at our first campsite close to Sperry Chalet. The chalet was built in 1912 by the Great Northern Railway, and is one of two backcountry chalets remaining in Glacier National Park. Hikers and visitors can actually stay there overnight if they’d like, but we decided to camp at the Sperry camp ground.

The camp ground is about 1/2 miles away from the chalet, and 3.5 miles away from Sperry Glacier. Each camp ground is composed of 3 or 4 clearly marked campsites, a designated food preparation and hanging area, a pit toilet, and special to this camp ground, a large pond that you can swim in if you’d like.


Our campsite was near a rock path that lead the face of a cliff. Mark got to setting up our tent.


While we were working, I looked up and there was a mountain goat staring at us.


The goat was hanging around, not really grazing, but not really mindful of us either. Shortly we figured out why. A mommy and baby goat showed up, and what I now assume to be the daddy goat joined them, and they started grazing off into the sunset.


After setting up the tent, we started on dinner. I was making tuna and pasta puttanesca, which is composed of orchiette pasta tossed in a tuna, kalamata olives, and tomato based sauce. I was able to find vacuum sealed plastic package of kalamata olives, which is really what brought this dish together.


I wrote out all the recipes by hand on post it notes, and put them in a plastic bag. This keeps the notes organized, and also protect them from the elements.


Mark helped me set up the butane stove, and since I only have 1 burner, I decided to cook the pasta first, drain and keep them warm in the pot with the lid on. I planned to make the sauce in the pan, then pour the sauce in the pot and toss to combine.

Mark helped me set up the butane stove.


Because we are at a higher altitude, the water boiled pretty quickly, but the pasts themselves Will take longer to cook.


While we waited for the pasta to cook I chopped the onions and garlic.


Mark took this time to relax and share some Macallan we brought on the trip.


Finally, after about 15 or 20 minutes, the pasta was finally done. I tried the pasta every 2 minutes near the end of the cooking process, since the packaged instructions are useless at our altitude.


Mark went and drained the pasta while I prepared the sauce by first sautéing up the chopped onions and garlic.


While the onion is being browned, Mark worked on opening the can of tomatoes. Add to tomatoes to the pan and break up the chunks with the spatula.


Add the kalamata olives, and some chili flakes if you’d like to give the sauce a healthy kick. Let the sauce simmer for about 10-15 minutes.


Pour the sauce into the pot with the drained pasta, and place the pot back on the burner on low heat. Toss the pasta thoroughly with the sauce, and then fold in the tuna.


I served pasta with thick Bavarian bread slices, and it was a satisfying end to a long day.


Tuna And Pasta Puttanesca